Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Issue with Bread


I hate buying bread. It is such a pain in the ass. I'm not above eating a sandwich for lunch (God knows, we are in a recession) and I am trying to make more of an effort to eat sandwiches. But the problem with eating sandwiches is that when I go to buy bread, IT EXPIRES TWO DAYS LATER!! How the hell are you supposed to accomplish that!? I have had a sandwich every day for the past nine weekdays and its already passed the expiration date! Don't tell me "Why don't you eat more than one sandwich a day?" Screw that. I like my food with some taste. Sandwiches are good but I like to switch it up. Eating a sandwich for lunch and dinner just is not an option.

I can understand a good loaf of bread for feeding a family but what about the bachelors and bachelorettes of this world? It is discrimination! I'm tired of a half loaf of moldy bread. This is a call out to the Wonder Breads, Sara Lees, and Pepperidge Farms of the world. When you are packaging your bread, put half in one package and the other half in another and sell it for half price! Is it that hard?

Rant over.

6 comments:

  1. I completely and totally agree. There are 2 of us at our house and we struggle sometimes to eat a whole loaf. Almost everytime we go to the grocery store one of us says "Why don't they make half loaves of bread?" The only thing I can suggest is to buy really good bread (I suggest Health Nut). We found it's so good we eat more of it in the form of toast etc. so not so much gets wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it in the frig so it doesn't go moldy so fast.

    now i wish i had a sandwich for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, it's called a fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, they already sell half loaves. http://www.slashfood.com/2007/03/03/half-loaves-of-bread/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with michelle, good hearty bread usually lasts a lot lot longer. and its more conducive to awesomeness in daily use. I don't agree with the fridge bullshit, nor the freezer bullshit. It changes the structure, flavor and texture of the bread, which is why I like bread in the first place- it tastes like bread.

    maybe check out the bakery section and get a couple rolls every few days. I funking love french loaves- though they only stay a day or sometimes overnight- and random wheat rolls make a better sandwhich anyway. On the west coast Fred Meyers, Kroger family sells 3 for a dollar, maybe that Hy-Vee monstrosity does similar.

    Interesting, I just had that thought for the first time in concrete plan and action theory a few days ago... ooky. collective unconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bread is still less than $2 a loaf right?

    ReplyDelete